« Home | And away we go. »

Other, Better Blogs

So, I've blogged before but never for a class and never with any particular purpose. In fact, my blog was the Seinfeld of the blogging world (only far less successful and funny and entertaining): it was a blog about nothing. I should probably read this to change my tune. Anyway, I suppose I'm going to think of this as my blog about something, or many things, but hopefully not nothing.

This blog, deemed one last year's "Blogging On" success stories, is quite entertaining. I'm attracted to these types of blogs, ones that blend the internal and the external, the personal and the communal. Brett makes his addiction to Dairy Queen just as interesting as the way the Bush administration "takes emotional issues in the country and exploits the hell out of them." I admire that.

Coffee Rhetoric had me with the title. She has a unique voice, a bit comical and a bit dark. With Coffee's blog, I noticed that, visually, I prefer blog posts that are broken into short paragraphs or bulleted lists, and ones that include photos or videos. I wonder if that means I'm lazy? I hope not. I'm a fan of words (and lots of 'em) but moreso when they're on the page than on the screen.

I noticed something (probably something quite obvious) when reading Nutmeg Grater: the speed with which information spreads. On Friday morning, I woke up, drove to get some coffee and heard on the radio that E-coli had been found in bagged spinach in Connecticut. I spent the drive home fretting about how there was bagged spinach in my fridge. Yikes stripes. Once home (and after throwing out my spinach), I started reading some blogs for class. The first entry on Nutmeg Grater's blog was about the E-coli outbreak. Damn. As soon as the news is out, someone's going to blog about it.

Labels: