« Home | I Didn't Promise Coherence » | Gratitude » | I'm A HUGE Cheeseball » | Betcha Didn't Miss Me » | Informative Love Affair » | Thank You » | Success » | I Can't Do It » | Rar! » | Moving On »

Lord In Heaven, My Nose Is Swollen!

So. This is the first class I've missed, and I just want to comment on how fantastic it is to be able to check in at trinblogwarriors.blogspot.com and catch up on what I've missed, from the professor's perspective as well as from my classmates' perspectives. I know it's now common to use the internet and email and even Blackboard in academic settings, but those tools do not seem to provide the same communal feel that blogs do. Because this class forces us not just to absorb information and respond to it, but to respond to it in a public forum and then respond to the responses of other students, we really do form a sort of tribe, a close knit community where we can continually challenge ourselves. And where a sick tribe member can feel like she's still part of the campfire without really being there. (Is this feverish talk?)

My initial point (the one I intended to make) is that I think blogging is an amazing tool for the classroom, one that has the potential to keep everyone active in the discussions or, at least, aware of the discussions. Maybe blogging will grow in academic popularity?

I'm mixing topics here (forgive me, Nielsen!), but Livejournal is going to be an awesome thing to discuss. I can barely contain my excitement. Squee!

Labels: ,

absorb information and respond to it, but to respond to it in a public forum and then respond to the responses of other students, we really do form a sort of tribe, a close knit community where we can continually challenge ourselves.

Sara, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to achieve where I work. We've set up two blogs - both with multiple posters - for staff to read. My hope is that reading, responding to the reading, then responding to the responses will generate both thoughtful professional growth and that sense of community/collaboration. Whether it succeeds or crashes and burns may rest more on my ability to facilitate and the staff's hesitation or eagerness to use the technology. But I have high hopes of engaging at least a few!

Post a Comment