« Home | Has Anyone... » | It's Alive! » | Briefly: Metafilter » | Wiki: It Is What It Is » | A Few Disjointed Thoughts » | Notes on Notes » | Wiki Crit » | The Dream » | Wiki: The First View » | Death by Video »

Did I Make Sense?

We're asked: What is it about blogging and humor?

There's a short and easy answer: Because everything on the internet is designed to be fast-paced, if you're going to stay with a page for a long time, it better be high-quality and of particular interest to you or it better have enough humor to move you along. I believe this is true, but I have an inkling that there's more to it than this. Sure, it's easier to glide through a blog entry if you're entertained by humor, but why is humor so common? Why use it more than, I don't know, images or very short sentences/posts or bulleted lists or lots of links? It seems to be one of the most common qualities of blogs; they're funny. Perhaps it's more about humor than about blogging. What I mean is, humor (in any form) is a sort of speedy thing. A joke can be long, but the "hit," the pinnacle, the funniest part is quick. And wit is best when it's quick (hence, quick-witted). Humor is a punch -- fast and powerful. Even stand-up comics always seem to move and speak with unearthly energy.

Maybe blogs are a perfect medium for humor rather than humor being a perfect device for blogs?

Labels:

I think you are right on target. I had not thought about the relationship between humor and blogging - other than being aware that I really enjoy people who throw in some humor along the way. But I think your hypothesis that blogs are a perfect medium for humor is accurate.

I also think many people naturally those in lots of humor in casual conversations. Not traditional jokes, no 'knock-knock' humor. But witty comments, ironic humor, and other casual joking around. And for those who are able to write using their own 'voice', slipping in humor is very natural. So I think that supports your idea that is the perfect medium for humor.

Post a Comment