« Home | 10-13 » | DUI » | Alternative Blog » | (Almost) Back in the Saddle » | Vapor Action » | Bleh » | YouTube, MeTube » | "The Milk Man, The Paper Boy..." » | A Few Notable Things: » | $1.75, Please »

Death by Video

Against my better judgment, I went to a party last night. Wild party girl that I am, I spent the evening curled in a leather chair reading various Time magazines that my friend Dennis had scattered on the table in his room. I came across this really interesting article and began to think about it in terms of writing, blogs and vlogs. If museums are going high tech to keep up with our ever-shrinking attention spans, are traditional museums dying out? Similarly, is traditional writing dying out in favor of blogs and vlogs? There will always be books; I'm sure of this because the thought of books ceasing to exist or migrating online or becoming shorter and more interactive makes me want to fling myself off the nearest bridge. But will they always be as well read? Will they turn into the traditional museums hurting for money of the literary world? Further (and more relevant to class), will videos replace much of the writing in blogs? Will the attitude be: If you can show it, why bother writing it out?

I don't know. I think it's possible that writing and blogging will shift to incorporate more videos and interactive what-nots. But I have faith that one of the fundamental joys of blogging and writing is to "get it out" -- whatever your "it" may be -- to punch the keys, to express yourself. And I have to believe that no matter how technically savvy we become, we will still appreciate that and make room for it.

Labels: ,

Glad you are feeling better and writing again!

Our attention spans may be shrinking, but I hope our love of words is not. I can not imagine the world without good books - and even the trashy books! LOL My bedside table is always covered with books I'm waiting to read. And my blogroll continues to expand. I can't imagine giving all that up for talking pictures.

Post a Comment