« Home | (Almost) Back in the Saddle » | Vapor Action » | Bleh » | YouTube, MeTube » | "The Milk Man, The Paper Boy..." » | A Few Notable Things: » | $1.75, Please » | The Passion of the Blog » | Gender Bender » | In Which I Don't Get the Right Answer... »

Alternative Blog

I know we're supposed to be discussing the recent YouTube controversy, but before I get into that, I just want to express my unyielding love for YouTube. I sound more and more like a crotchety old woman with every passing day and what I'm about to say isn't going to help that at all, but I guess that's just the way this particular cookie crumbles.

I miss the good old days.

The days when Connecticut's Radio 104 was an alternative rock station, when VH1 played Pop Up Video incessantly, when instead of downloading music you sat in front of your stereo waiting to push the "record" button on your tape deck so you could capture that awesome, new song for your awesome, new mix. The days when MTV played music videos and devoted their weekends to Top 100 countdowns. YouTube reminds me of my love for music videos. I'm not talking about rappers popping champagne bottles in jacuzzis or emo kids with eyeliner pouting at the camera. I'm talking about great, weird videos like Live's "Lightning Crashes" and "Lakini's Juice." The Smashing Pumpkins' "Thirty-three" or, hell, even Bush's "Swallowed."

OK, maybe I miss the music more than the videos, but however I slice it, YouTube has reunited me with music videos. Good music videos. And for that, I am forever indebted.

In lieu of digging out my baggy jeans and flannel shirts, I'll just watch this.

Labels: , ,