« Home | Death by Video » | 10-13 » | DUI » | Alternative Blog » | (Almost) Back in the Saddle » | Vapor Action » | Bleh » | YouTube, MeTube » | "The Milk Man, The Paper Boy..." » | A Few Notable Things: »

Wiki: The First View

I've just hit the tip of the giant iceberg that is Wikipedia. My first thoughts? Not only is it massive (much larger than I had assumed), it's also very intricate. There are layers upon layers of information on the Editing and Tutorial pages alone. It initially seems like an easy-to-use, easy-to-access collaborative encyclopedia, but it's really a complex system of rules and etiquette. What I love about it is the icy politeness of its instructions: They rarely command you to do anything; instead, they suggest it by saying, "It's a good idea to..." and "it can be bad if..." or "it would be useful to read..." It makes you feel welcomed and watched, which I guess is how Wikipedia works.

Labels: