« Home | Lord In Heaven, My Nose Is Swollen! » | I Didn't Promise Coherence » | Gratitude » | I'm A HUGE Cheeseball » | Betcha Didn't Miss Me » | Informative Love Affair » | Thank You » | Success » | I Can't Do It » | Rar! »

"El-Jay" Or, In Which I Bore You

I think Livejournal is different from "other" blogging sites, perhaps Livejournals aren't even blogs in the traditional sense (if there is a traditional sense). I think Suzan, who insulted our professor, said this well: Many of the entries in LJ may refer to events or discussions that happen in another venue, be it instant messenger, telephone, or face to face, and there is much recursive, esoteric, and self-referential conversation that takes place on LJ that simply doesn't occur in a one to many blog paradigm.

Livejournal hastens the process that Colin often diagrams in class: the one where X number of knitters are blogging and communicating with one another, and X number of Lamont supporters are blogging and communicating, and then some knitters crossover to the Lamont blogs because they're also Lamont supporters and vice versa. So there's this ever growing, ever changing blog community. Livejournal makes that process easier. You can set up a Livejournal, search for common interests and join communities based on shared interests. Then, through commenting in a community or clicking on a blogger's user info, you can decide to "friend" a blogger, allowing both of you to be on one another's friends list, which gives each of you permission to view each other's friends-locked entries. The cool thing is you always have control over who can view your entries. And you can even create your own community and decide who can and cannot join your community by becoming a maintainer of a community.

I've mentioned this before, but Livejournal is its own species, sort of.

I'll probably return soon with a list of some cool things I think are happening at LJ, but for now, it's me and my tissue box. We are one these days.

For the record, I disagree with this:
Colin said...
Well, I'm a very bad professor. There's no getting around that.
4:49 AM

Labels: ,

Love the quote on the top and the whole new template. Your upping the standard. I guess I have a new project for the weekend.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! Believe me, though, this blog doesn't up any standards. ;)

Post a Comment