« Home | Warning » | Good God! » | The Returns » | They're Everywhere! » | Hugh Ogden » | Staying the Course » | Addendum » | 2007, Here We Come! » | ... » | This Cake Is Baked! »

?

Taking (and enjoying) the "Blogging On" class this past semester has placed me in a difficult predicament. I used to blog more often and more about daily life -- especially in my other, more private blog -- but knowing that I have accumulated a small (alright, minuscule) readership from taking the class has somehow paralyzed me. I'm plagued with the gnawing question: Do I have anything interesting to say? I always turn up with a big, fat "no" and thus, I don't blog. I mean, who wants to hear about my long walks on campus, what I had for dinner or how I found the perfect pair of jeans this weekend? No one. These things, however, are what I enjoy writing about in my blogs.

The problem is that I now don't blog in my older, more personal blog either because I feel a sense of loyalty (perhaps responsibility?) to "Alien Human Hybrid." I've watched it grow and I enjoy receiving feedback, which didn't happen as often with my other blog because I had a two-person readership. Literally.

I'm thinking too much.

Labels:

Readership be damned! If you are not being truthful, it doesn't make sense to blog, unless you need attention. I remember being surprised and disappointed when the previous year’s bloggers came in and one admitted to changing his topics and style to please or create his audience. It seemed out of step with what I thought blogging was about. I write for myself, but am conscious of a potential audience.

There is merit in documenting your life –for yourself and for people who care about you. Perhaps, the reason you don't blog the way you used to is that you've changed and grown. If readership is forcing change you don't like, maybe you should move back to the old site. Or write here for yourself and the odd person who wanders in and reads your blog - like a person overhearing a conversation in an elevator or while you are on the phone.

Sorry - the anonymous comment was from me. So much for my blogging skill - I don't know how that happened.

i agree that you are thinking too much. blog as yourself -- what you care to share about your life and what your interests are in culture. mix and mingle them. we all agfreed that a blog jumbles the public and private.

I would be part of that minuscule readership you have gathered. But I don't expect you to play to your audience. LOL I have no idea how your private blog with an audience of two compares to your more public blog here. But I've always found your writing very interesting. You've certainly made me think more about the experience of blogging. And you've shared bits of your life. Both were fun to read. Even the search for the perfect pair of jeans might prove entertaining. LOL

I think it is a weird thing to become attached to a blog...and to the people who read it. But I know I've come to feel that way about what I write. I don't write for them...and yet, I'm glad they are there!

You have your 'voice'...and it shows in your style, in your interests in X-Files and other cool things, in your analysis of this whole writing thing. I hope you will continue to share your voice with us.

When I spoke to the blogging class I mentioned E.B. White as my model for blogging. White always managed to write about what was going on with him personally and tie it to bigger issues.

Write about what matters to you, and if it feels right, let your mind wander to what it means in the bigger picture.

Telling stories about our shared humanity helps us all.

My two cents.

Sara-

The fact that you got five comments from your blog (six, including me!) shows that your blogs have merit. But I know exactly how you feel. Squarespace has a traffic meter that I now check almost daily--ok, more than that--I'm becoming a traffic junkie--but I definitely felt the same Blogging On "post-partem" blogging depression as you do. (Is that the right word? I've never been pregnant so I'm not sure--although I certainly FEEL pregnant after the holidays...)

I'm looking for ways to market my blog better outside of becoming a google keyword whore and I'm trying to blog everyday whether I'm being read or not. (I average about 10 a day right now.) I hope I'm not being too forthright but I wanna link to your feed! I'm sorry I haven't checked in more often but I'm in the same boat as you, I'm trying to figure out ways to build my readership up. Just don't take it as a reflection on your writing skill because I don't think your present traffic has anything to do with that.

Keep the faith!!

Joeydee

I really appreciate the feedback on this post. Thanks to all!

I'm going to keep at it, though I may direct everyone to my more personal blog just because I enjoy posting in it more. I don't know, but the ideas/feedback you guys provided has helped me get a better handle on my post-partem blogging depression. ;)

Post a Comment